Pages

Friday 17 February 2012

A Review for Fifty Shade of Grey (Fifty Shades #1) by E.L.James

Posted by Donna
Published Date: May 26th, 2011
Finished Date: 16th February, 2012
Publishers: The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House
Source: Bought - 2012 TBR Challenge 
Format: Kindle
Pages: 356
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

The Review: Well, hello Mr. Grey! Wow, what a guy! 

I have to admit, I seriously didn't want to fall for Christian or this book and I have all my book friends to blame for convincing me to read this book. It's official - I'm addicted and obsessed with Christian Grey! 

Now if you don't know what this book is about, let me say; BDSM? Yeah! Shocked the hell out of me too. 

When I started reading this book I was hesitant, mainly because I honestly think a BDSM relationship is totally out of my comfort zone but once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I wasn't entirely convinced about my feelings for Christian until about 30% of the book and yes, the emails convinced me. You do see a playful side to him and Ana during the exchange of the emails, it was just what I needed to get emotionally attached to the characters and E.L.James she has created two fantastic characters in Ana and Christian. 

Ana is a quiet, smart and well preserved girl - one that has never really ventured out to explore her sexual side, because she's never found Mr Right. When she meets Christian she is instantly attracted to him - she is very cautious but intrigued too. Not only that but Ana is a very head strong woman, she knows what she wants and goes for it and as Christian continues to hide things from her, she continues to push and push until she gets what she wants.  And I honestly think she grows as a character through-out this book.  Christian, he's a mystery. It's pretty clear he likes to be in control. He likes everything done his way and a certain way. But really deep down, you're left with trying to figure him out. He's hot one minute and then cold the next. He's happy and then sad and all of this is down to is his unhappy childhood. But despite all this, there's just something about him, push aside the control-freakness and you get a gorgeous, intriguing and unpredictable young man. I promise you, you will love him too. 

Here's some of my favourite quotes;

“Why don't you like to be touched" Ana whispered, staring up into soft grey eyes. 
"Because I'm fifty shades of f***ed-up, Anastasia” - Ana and Christian

“He grabs me suddenly and yanks me up against him, one hand at my back holding me to him and the other fisting in my hair. 
"You're one challenging woman," He kisses me, forcing my lips apart with his tongue, taking no prisoners. 
"It's taking all my self-control not to f**k you on the hood of this car, just to show you that you're mine, and if I want to buy you a f***ing car, I'll buy you a fucking car," he growls.” - Ana and Christian

E.L James manages to create a perfect blend of romance with hot, sexy and funny scenes - that will make any girl blush. Fifty Shades of Grey is truly an addictive read, one that I'd definitely recommend and I am so glad that this is not just a stand alone book. Only one book would have killed me so I'm thrilled to say.......I'm now moving onto book two! 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I HAD to stop by and comment on this review. I love this book trilogy and E.L. James is just brilliant. If you loved Christian, you will love him even more once all is said and done. I love seeing new people discovery Fifty.
;]
ShawnaLeAnn
Dreaming In The Pages Enter My Giveaway

Unknown said...

So, my initial reaction was the same as yours, but those quotes kind of convinced me that yes, I do want to read this book. ;)

Thank you for the review!

_yay_ said...

I LOOOOVEEEEE me some Fifty. I'm Team Fifty Shades all the way. Awesome review. You're sooo lucky the 3rd book is already out. No waiting for you lol.
_yay_ @
http://bookthatthing.blogspot.com

_yay_ said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Fifty is pretty unique, but I happen to have a rec for you:
Falling From Grace by Laura Leone
+
I have my eye on these two (NOT yet bought / read)
Dream Man series by Ashley Kristen
Sempre by J.M. Darhower

Lesley said...

Just remember I saw him first Donna so he's mine!

Your review was spot on, I loved the playful side of Fifty seen through his emails but the tortured hero bit gets me every time. I'm going to write you a list of other books you need to read now!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

*fans self* Those quotes are making me want to meet this Christian everyone seems to love! :D Amazing review. I'm glad you enjoyed it and you've made me want to grab a copy of this soon. Which I definitely will be doing now. ;)

dian said...

thanks for the riview,,i love mr grey,,this is my fav books,,

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis