Pages

Friday 17 August 2012

A Review for Last Summer by Rebecca A.Rogers

Last SummerPosted by Donna
Release Date: August 2nd, 2012
Finished Date: August 14th, 2012
Publishers: Simon & Schuster
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback 
Pages: 32
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

All Chloe Sullivan wants to do is get through the summer. Her life has been in disarray for more than six months, and she knows the only reason her parents made one final trip to Sandy Shores is because of her. They are, after all, two seconds away from filing for divorce. When Chloe stumbles upon a boy in one of her childhood hangouts, she’s in for more than just a relaxing summer vacation. 

Logan Andrews is exhausted, famished and, quite frankly, kaput. His parents kicked him out when he refused to attend a rehabilitation program for his drug addiction. Now, he wishes he would’ve listened; he’d be receiving appropriate medical care rather than living in a dingy, godforsaken shack, holing up from money-hungry drug dealers. 

Logan’s godsend arrives in the form of Chloe, who can’t hold her tongue when it comes to matters of the heart. They’re both in for a rude awakening when Logan’s past catches up to them, though. Can they escape the drug dealers showing up at every twist and turn, or will things end much worse than they ever imagined? 

WARNING: This book contains strong language, drug use, and sexual situations, including an explicit sex scene and a near-rape scene. Mature audiences only. 17+

The Review: I'm a big fan of Rebecca A. Rogers work so when I found out she was trying her hand at a mature contemporary romance story, I was sold straight away. I love this genre so I was excited to see where Rebecca took her story, and let's just say it doesn't disappoint. 

I won't re-cap the blurb because it says all you really need to know but I will say Logan's and Chloe's story is a difficult one. It touches on subject such as drug abuse and a near-rape scene, not only that it's full of betrayal, heartache and loss but also love, hope and journey of self-discovery. Now because we get the story told from alternative point's of view, you really feel the force of what each character is going through. Chloe's parents are going through a divorce and Logan is a drug addict. Logan's story was so much worse than Chloe's because of his addiction and honestly, it wasn't pretty. I thought Rebecca did a very good job of portraying his addiction but also trying to get him to fix his life. Now Chloe's, I liked her story, I didn't think the whole Dad drama was necessary but I still enjoyed it. 
I enjoyed the character's when they were together. They bought out their good qualities when they were together and their relationship is full of hope. It was nice to see a couple that had so many problems come together. 

Overall, Last Summer was a good read. I's full of drama and heart-breaking scenes and it really ticked all the right boxes for me. A must read! 

2 comments:

Fiction Fascination said...

First off, I adore that cover!! I'm glad this ticked all your boxes, Donna, I certainly think I would love it. Fab review, as always! :)

Emily Blake said...

Great review! I've read this one too, and it was AMAZING! I loved the happy ending. I also kind of want a sequel. It would be cool if Rogers wrote one.

~Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis