Pages

Friday 29 November 2013

A Review for Shadows of the Past (Others of Edenton #2) by Brandy L. Rivers

18668115Posted by Melanie
Release Date: October 5th, 2013
Finished Date: November 11th, 2013
Publishers: Self Published 
Genre: Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Source: For Review
Format: eBook
Pages: 289
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US 

Haunted by memories of her past, Amethyst Lakes left her home to come to Edenton. She was ready to start a new life on her own after being stalked relentlessly.

Hayden Hunter is too busy being Sheriff to take interest in a woman.

That is until his officer drags Amethyst into his life. For the first time he wants to protect and claim.

There’s instant attraction between the two, but Amethyst isn’t ready for anyone since she found out her ex killed himself after she sent him away for good.

Preston has always protected Amethyst, and when he finds out something of legend and nightmares is coming for her, he’ll do everything he can to keep her safe.

Amethyst is either the catalyst to bring nightmares fully into this realm, or the one to end them. Can she find the power to stop the darkness, or will she wind up its prey?

Pretty little nymph, suspicious but sexy earth fae, cocky mage, and a nightmare of old.

The Review: 4.5 flowers! 

Shadows of the Past is a great addition to the Others of Edenton series and this time around we have Amethyst Lakes, a nymph featured in the Shadows Fall novelette and Hayden Hunter – Edentons very own Fae Sheriff! The synopsis is very accurate in its description of the book but I would add that apart from the relationship drama there are other ‘shadows of the past’ for both of them to deal with and the main threat of the book.
I liked all of the characters that feature in these books so Amethyst & Hayden are no exception, they are a cool pair, Amethyst is very confident sexually so you would expect her to be a bit more dominant in that department but Hayden is more than man enough to deal with this nymph and give her what she needs. I liked that even though she is more than capable of looking after herself that she had a vulnerable side too….not that it lasted long. I thought Hayden did a great job of winning her around even though the chemistry between them was smokin’ so he didn’t need to push but I appreciated that he was willing to put his needs to one side in favour of her needs and it was great to see him in another light than the surly Sheriff we had been introduced to in the first book. I was actually surprised that Hayden turned out to be Amethyst’s love interest because Preston was my bet and actually I thought Dacia had made a connection with Hayden in book one.
The story featured a different threat than book one and I liked the introduction of the ‘Shadow Fae’, I liked the threat they posed to everyone, how they gained their strength and what they were trying to do, they gave the book a darker feeling and made you think that anyone could be turned into the enemy. I like how both Amethyst & Hayden’s families were connected to them also, we get all of the history in the prologue so don’t worry about missing anything. I liked how the story from Shadows Fall continues in this but I must say that you really must read Shadows Fall before reading this as you wouldn’t really know the ins & outs of what had happened to Amethyst and why everyone seems uber protective of her.
I never like love triangles or ‘other women’ but there is one in this series who takes it upon herself to claim every eligible man even though they wouldn’t touch her and as soon as I knew who Amethyst’s love interest was, I knew this woman would be a problem…. It’s quite amusing how she pops up to claim a man that has nothing to do with her, she’s the token bitch of the series and although she has ‘issues’ you can actually feel for her and when we get her book I think it will be emotional but for now, she amuses me. We also get to meet a few new characters in this and I liked them all, there are a few notable ones and we are introduced to book 3’s couple too which I am very much looking forward to but I’m looking forward to Preston’s book a lot more. I also wanted to know what gift Sapphire bestowed upon Hayden & his family… will we ever find out? Never the less this was an awesome read (I would expect no less) and as always, I’m left wanting more! 

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis